Monday, July 13, 2009

I Call Shenanigans!

I got a phone call from a number from area code 423. They knew my name and said I'd won a $1000 shopping spree. I was "offered" magazine subscriptions for the price of shipping and handling only and told my $1000 would arrive in the mail in 3 to 5 business days. All they "needed" was to confirm my credit card number and expiration date. 

What made this one tricky is that they claimed to be from "American Publisher" which is a real BBB registered company with an "A" rating. I called the number the BBB had and asked if they had offices in Tennessee (which is where that number is from) and they said absolutely not. They are based in Illinois (and the two representatives I talked to were very nice). If you get a call DO NOT give them your info! Call the police and report them please!

However I do have to say that if this a legitimate company and I'm wrong, I apologize. The cops won't bug you and I'm just out $1000. So really if you're not trying to steal my credit card information, it's my loss.

But it's like they say, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck, it's probably not a moose.

1 comment:

4get2remember said...

That's what she said!