Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I Made It Over 25 Years!

What have I managed to do for that long? Not get stung/bitten by a bee, wasp, hornet, etc. But that all changed today. Something got me.

I was minding my own business, just put the baby down for a nap, and opened the front door to get the mail (baby monitor in hand, mind you). And then... whoa Nelly! Pain, ouch, pain, pain pain! In a half hour I'm sure I cussed more than I have in the past year total. If I couldn't have made a sailor blush, I could have surely made one giggle.

Instant stinging! Like jumping around in the front yard, flailing and going berserk. It felt like pulsing fire. This leads me to believe (from the research I've done) it was a wasp sting. Supposedly the burn... a lot.

Best part... I had no clue what to do! I thought about using an expired EpiPen. I called my husband, no answer. I call my dad, he's not sure. He made a call to a nurse friend, but while I waited I called two other people for advice, posted questions in two forums, and managed to google first aid for stings.

Long story short. I didn't jam the EpiPen in my leg and I think I'm going to be just fine. I wrapped in a vinegar soaked baby burp rag, took some ibuprofen, cleaned it with soap and water, applied ice for 20 minutes, then smothered it in baking soda paste and bandaged it. I think I covered the first aid.

Now I'm debating whether to have it checked by a doctor or just keep an eye on it. I'll probably just watch it. It's swollen, red, burning, and all out irritating, but isn't that bad... I think. As long as it's not oozing pus, turning strange colours, or making me delirious with fever, I'm sure it will be fine.

So heres to you little bug that bit or stung me. You've ended an era. Thank you?

No comments: