Thursday, March 24, 2011

I've Got A 50 Pound Bag Of Potatoes

Much has changed in my little world in the past week. I guess you could say that life gave us potatoes.

My little family and I have been planning to move closer to my dad for a while. He's not old or needy, we just think the area he's in offers us more opportunities. Not to mention the school system is far better than the one where we currently live. So we've been planning to finish our work on our house and put it on the market. My husband had (yes, had) a good paying job (albeit physically challenging and stressful) and was making good progress on the house weekend warrior style. That was our course of action. It was working and we were content with it. Life was pretty good.

But someone, I'm not sure whom, once said that life is what happens while you're busy making plans... My husband lost his job a week ago. Here are your potatoes.

We're looking at it all as positively as possible. A blessing in an ugly disguise if you will. Maybe the universe was trying to tell us "hey guys, wrong path. You need to go this way." So new plan. We're giving ourselves two months to finish our repairs and pack it all up and head on to my dad's. We're fortunate that we were as prepared as we are. It's by no means going to be easy, but we're going to give it our best shot. We've got a deep freezer full of food, money for the bills for a couple months, and great family and friends standing behind us.

I don't think I've ever addressed my opinion on what one should do "when life gives you potatoes," but I know what I'd do. I've decided to make vodka and make a toast to what I have and the opportunities the future holds. Cheers!

1 comment:

Luisa said...

New paths - new opportunities - new chances - new pleasures. Good luck.