Monday, December 15, 2008

Who Throws a Shoe,... Seriously?

If you haven't heard, there was a man in Iraq that threw both of his shoes at President Bush. I love this story which can be read here (and in many other places if you google news results for "shoe"). 

I remember, several years ago, watching the statues of Saddam Hussein fall to the ground at the hands of the Iraqi peoples. I also remember seeing them hitting the statues with their shoes. A friend of mine thought it was particularly amusing and really enjoyed it when I explained why they were hitting the statues with shoes.

I spent part of my childhood in Egypt. I grew up knowing full well that you do not even show the bottom of your show to someone of Arab culture. It is worse to them than a middle finger in the States. It's bad. Seriously bad.

So, who throws a shoe, I ask. Someone who really does not like you. At all. Seriously.

1 comment:

4get2remember said...

Which totally complicates the fact that the dude in AP seemed more Asian than Arab...